The Haliburton Real Easy Ryders Cycling Club
Who We Are
…”the little club that grew”… In 1997, a group of 8 friends got together to cycle the Haliburton countryside. Through word-of-mouth, the group quickly grew to approximately 30 people. As a result, the Highlands Cycling Club was formed in the fall of 1998. The club continued to grow and in 2005 the Highlands Cycling Club changed its name and officially became the Haliburton Real Easy Ryders. We are a volunteer based non-profit organization. Our membership of 100+ Ryders consists mostly of individuals in the 50+ range but is open to everyone over the age of 18.
What We Do
Our mission is to promote recreational cycling in Haliburton County and provide a social atmosphere through picnics and potluck lunches at our scheduled rides. The club rides every Sunday, Tuesday and Friday from May until October and enjoys an ‘away’ cycling trip within Ontario/Quebec every Spring and Fall. Although many of our regular rides are within Haliburton County, we also venture beyond to areas like Fenelon Falls, Bobcaygeon, Kirkfield, Orillia, etc. To ensure that members of varying abilities and interests can enjoy their ride, we typically provide three or more ride options at each location including a shorter easier ride, perhaps 16 to 25 kms, a medium ride 25 to 35kms and a longer ride in the order of 35 to 55kms. Our main focus is on safe, enjoyable cycling and, of course, lots of fun!
Here are just a few of the benefits of becoming a member of the Haliburton Real Easy Ryders:
- A planned cycling outing with route maps every Tuesday and informal local Sunday and Friday rides (rotating weekly, Minden/W. Guilford/Haliburton ) from May to October
- Club organized Spring and Fall trip (3 days / 2 nights) to other areas of Ontario or to Quebec
- Education about cycling safely & efficiently plus basic bike care and maintenance
- An opportunity to meet and cycle with new people who have the same interests
- A ‘private’ Facebook site for (only) members to communicate with one another, set up rides with other members and post their cycling photos
- A good reason to smile, laugh and have fun!